20100223

Conscience breaks the fourth wall

Finally receiving the chance to transfer some experiences, this Controller recently encountered a scenario where a decision was made and the moral consequence was so startling, I was broken out of the virtual identity.
This situation was the first of its kind I’ve ever encountered in a game.  The decision had entirely no bearing on my virtual identity (Capt. Jonathan Shepard) in terms of progression, success, lasting relationships, or any other System-related parameter.  It was simply an option, one that I took but was so startled by outcome (again, meaningless) that it brought me back to my real identity, halting the System, and thinking about how I felt about what had just happened.  My real world identity was made uncomfortable by a trivial (relative to the System-world) decision- I seemed to myself, “I can’t stand for that kind of action.”  <- even if it was nothing I directly did.

I ended up restarting the System to an earlier save point to “correct” the decision I made (an impulse choice that led to the unnecessary murder of a minor villain).  I hampered my progress, and possibly even hampered a success factor (it’s possible that killing the minor villain could have made the current mission easier down the road) in order to “ease” my real-world identity.
(Shepard killing an adversary)

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan,

    I liked that title of your post and raise some interesting issues in terms of identity in games and gaming. How has breaking of the fourth wall change the way you play the game and experience? When the fourth wall is broken intentionally in movies or tv show (i.e Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Saved by the Bell) changes the way you consume the presentation of actions and dialogue. But this is an intentional removal, the act you described in unintentional. How do you think this will change the way you perceive, consume, act, and describe the gaming experience?

    You have raised an interesting issue and I hope that you will further your ability in thinking about learning and video games. I look forward to your comments on your play in future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    Next game post will likely be from the perspective of Captain Shepard.

    ReplyDelete

Reply via text here